Tai Chi

Tai Chi
Tai Chi

Friday, October 31, 2014

Week 6 - Wannabe a Newcomer in Yoga

Bodyflow classes have been going really well. I've learned to control my breathing and I am able to hold poses longer by strengthening my core. As I've stated previously in other posts, I'm really beginning to enjoy Yoga. As I was researching more about Yoga over the past few weeks, I've come to learn new terms that are familiar within the Yoga community and also techniques, and delivery methods.
With all of this newfound knowledge of Yoga, I'm considering taking a permanent weekly Yoga class, possibly a Hot Yoga or a Paddle Board Yoga class. As I was reading about Peripheral Participation this week, I started to realize that if I want to be serious about Yoga, then I should acquire the proper known knowledge within the Yoga culture. I can read to learn about Yoga, but it would be best learned with a zone of proximal development (ZPD) setting where I have an instructor to help guide my skills and knowledge of Yoga.  It made me think that this could also be similarly looked at as an apprenticeship as well over time. In the readings from Lave and Wagner, they indicate that newcomers to a community of knowledge have basic knowledge, but utilize their peers within the community to learn and grow those skills. If I take years of classes from knowledgeable Yoga instructors, I could develop the processes and skills to become an expert in Yoga through a ZPD.



No comments:

Post a Comment