Tai Chi

Tai Chi
Tai Chi

Friday, October 10, 2014

Week 3 - Tuning and Transfer in Yoga

My instructor for Bodyflow class uses an Advance Organizer by letting us know which poses/stretches in Yoga, Tai Chi and Pilates we will be doing throughout each class.
I really like knowing which moves we will be doing because I can decipher which poses or moves I already know, and which ones I don't know and want to focus on. It also helps me better prepare myself for each move throughout the class.
As my knowledge base for Yoga grows, I find myself relating my own memorization of the moves to the theories of knowledge we learned about in chapter 4 of Learning and Cognition by Michael E. Martinez.

Lately I've experienced a lot of Tuning with my schema for Yoga. Many yoga moves like Flip Your Dog incorporate smaller moves that attribute to a larger movement. A larger movement involves a series of small movements in order to complete the large movement. I didn't realize that the smaller yoga movements made up the larger movements, until the instructor started breaking out each larger movement by smaller poses.  Flip Your Dog is a larger movement and combines a series a 4 sequential small yoga movements:

1. Downward Facing Dog


2. Psosas Stretch

3. Side Plank

4. Upward Facing Bow Pose


I am able to do these poses individually by themselves relatively easily. I really struggle with Flip Your Dog between the transitions of these moves. I can easily apply the concept of knowledge transfer when I combine these small moves in to the larger move of Flip Your Dog, but I still struggle with the flow of my balance in between the moves.
This has also caused an alteration of my procedural knowledge as our instructor takes multiple smaller yoga moves, and combines them in to a larger movement. I know each small move within declarative knowledge, but sometimes the instructor will piece together small moves in to a larger movement and thus changing my procedural knowledge for different larger movements.

No comments:

Post a Comment