Tai Chi

Tai Chi
Tai Chi

Friday, October 3, 2014

Week 2 - Motivation to flip the dog

I've attended 4 Bodyflow classes in the past 2 weeks. I find myself enjoying the class more and more with each session. I really enjoy the change of pace between yoga, tai chi and pilates throughout the class.
The gym I attend provides yoga mats for members, but they are a little older and some are torn. I've noticed that several people in my class bring their on yoga mats that have carriers. I decided to purchase my own mat and carrier because I was getting tired of having to sanitize the gym mats. I bought my yoga mat at T.J. Maxx on sale and then I purchased this carrier on Amazon. I really like my new mat, it has a better grip than the mats provided by the gym. My hands and feet don't slide as much when I use my new yoga mat.

I've been practicing my breathing techniques and it's been a lot easier to stretch deeper and focus more throughout the class. After the first week of class and breathing exercises, I noticed I had more energy and was intrinsically motivated to go to class this past week. I really found myself relating the readings last week about intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. Initially, I was extrinsically motivated to attend Bodyflow class so I could write about my experience here which is a required assignment for this course that I want to complete successfully. But now, I find myself getting excited every time Tuesday and Thursday's Bodyflow class comes up because I am noticing my increased progress.

In Tuesday's class we learned a new move called "Flip the Dog." It begins in a downward dog position, and then you elevate one of your legs, and slowly rotate your body to flip over. I kept falling over every time I tried to flip my dog. I have decided that this is one of the really hard yoga positions that I will strive to achieve.

Here is a video of the yoga move "Flip the Dog":

1 comment:


  1. In order for me to build up my yoga skills in order to complete the Flip Your Dog move, I plan on continuing social observation learning by watching technique videos for each individual move. The Flip Your Dog move combines several yoga movements to complete. I plan on chunking off each separate move and learning and mastering it before moving on to the next. I asked my instructor on tips to help me build balance as a good base to start learning the Flip Your Dog move. She recommended I start with a side plank position for 30 second intervals. She said that the muscle memory from this move would help me keep a solid balance for the move. When I showed her my side plank, she told me to tuck my belly and hold my core tight along with my thighs and calves. The instructor properly placed my body in a side plank position so that I would be sure that I was doing it right. She really helped me tune my knowledge on how to properly do a side plank move.

    ReplyDelete